Everyone knows that physical activity is good for your body, but it’s also good for your mind. When you are active, your brain releases feel-good chemicals, called endorphins, throughout your body. Evidence shows that regular physical activity can help improve your mood and help you feel more relaxed.
Some benefits of physical activity:
- Decreased feelings of stress and anxiety
- Improved sleep
- Increased Energy
- Boosted confidence
- Increased self-esteem
Improving your mental health through physical activity does not mean you have to become a body-builder or Olympic athlete. The goal is just to be active.
Physical activity ideas:
- Go for a brisk walk
- Practice yoga
- Ride a bike
- Go swimming
- Play a game of soccer, football or basketball with some friends
Spending 30 minutes being physically active is optimal to improve your mental health, but any amount of time can be helpful. You can also gradually increase the amount of time you spend being physically active.
Helpful tips for incorporating physical activity into your life:
- Start small and increase duration and frequency over time
- Do something you like and have fun doing
- Create a physical activity routine
- Listen to music while you exercise
- Plan your activity with a friend or group of friends
To learn more about physical activity and other ways to improve your physical and mental health, visit:
Source: Campus Mind Works